1. This is the message that the prophet Jeremiah gave to Baruch, son of Neriah, when he wrote in a book the prophecies that Jeremiah dictated in the fourth year of Jehoiakim, son of Josiah, king of Judah:
2. Thus says the LORD, God of Israel, to you, Baruch,
3. because you said, "Alas! the LORD adds grief to my pain; I am weary from groaning, and can find no rest":
4. say this to him, says the LORD: What I have built, I am tearing down; what I have planted, I am uprooting: even the whole land.
5. And do you seek great things for yourself? Seek them not! I am bringing evil on all mankind, says the LORD, but your life I will leave you as booty, wherever you may go.