1. Yahweh spoke to Moses and to Eleazar, son of Aaron the priest. He said:
2. "Take a census of all the community of Israel, by families: all those of twenty years and over, able to give military service."
3. So Moses and Eleazar the priest enlisted the people in the plains of Moab, near the Jordan opposite Jericho as Yahweh had commanded Moses.
4. They counted the men twenty years and over among the Israelites who had come out of the land of Egypt.
5. Reuben, the firstborn of Israel. The tribe of Reuben: for Hanoch, the Hanochite clan; for Pallu, the Palluite clan;
6. for Hezron, the Hezronite clan; for Carmi, the Carmite clan.
7. These were the Reubenite clans. They numbered 43,730 men.
8. The descendants of Pallu: Eliab.
9. The sons of Eliab: Nemuel, Dathan and Abiram. These two, Dathan and Abiram, councillors of the community, were the ones who rebelled against Moses and Aaron; they belonged to the followers of Korah who rebelled against Yahweh.
10. The earth opened its mouth and swallowed them (Korah died with his followers), when fire destroyed the 250 men as a warning to the people.
11. The sons of Korah were not killed.
12. The tribe of Simeon by clans: for Nemuel, the Nemuelite clan; for Jamin, the Jaminite clan; for Jachin, the Jachinite clan;
13. for Zerah, the Zerahite clan; for Shaul, the Shaulite clan.
14. These were the Simeonite clans. They numbered 22,200 men.
15. The tribe of Gad by clans: for Zephon, the Zephonite clan; for Haggi, the Haggite clan; for Shuni, the Shunite clan;
16. for Ozni, the Oznite clan; for Eri, the Erite clan;
17. for Arod, the Arodite clan; for Areli, the Arelite clan.
18. These were the clans of the tribe of Gad. They numbered 40,500 men.
19. The tribe of Judah: Er and Onan. Er and Onan died in the land of Canaan.
20. The other sons of Judah became clans: for Shelah, the Shelanite clan; for Perez, the Perezzite clan; for Zerah, the Zerahite clan.
21. The sons of Perez were: for Hezron, the Hezronite clan; for Hamul, the Hamulite clan.
22. These were the clans of Judah. They numbered 76,500 men.
23. The tribe of Issachar, by clans: for Tola, the Tolaite clan; for Puvah, the Puvite clan;
24. for Jashub, the Jashubite clan; for Shimron, the Shimronite clan.
25. These were the clans of Issachar. They numbered 64,300 men.
26. The tribe of Zebulun by clans: for Sered, the Seredite clan; for Elon, the Elonite clan; for Jahleel, the Jahleelite clan.
27. These were the clans of Zebulun. They numbered 60,500 men.
28. The tribe of Joseph, by clans: Manasseh and Ephraim.
29. The tribe of Manasseh: for Machir, the Machirite clan; Machir was the father of Gilead: for Gilead, the Gileadite clan.
30. These were the clans of Gilead; for Iezer, the Iezerite clan; for Helek, the Helekite clan;
31. Asriel, the Asrielite clan; Shechem, the Shechemite clan;
32. Shemida, the Shemidaite clan; Hepher, the Hepherite clan.
33. Zelophehad son of Hepher had no sons but only daughters; these are the names of Zelophehad's daughters: Mahlah, Noah, Hoglah, Milcah and Tirzah.
34. These were the clans of Manasseh. They numbered 52,700 men.
35. The tribe of Ephraim by clans: for Shuthelah, the Shuthelahite clan; for Becher, the Becherite clan; for Tahan, the Tahanite clan.
36. These are the sons of Shuthelah: for Eran, the Eranite clan.
37. These were the clans of Ephraim. They numbered 32,500 men. These were the descendants of Joseph, by clans.
38. The tribe of Benjamin, by clans: for Bela, the Belaite clan; for Ashbel, the Ashbelite clan; for Ahiram, the Ahiramite clan;
39. for Shephupham, the Shephuphamite clan; for Hupham, the Huphamite clan.
40. Bela had Ard and Naaman for sons: the Ardite clan; for Naaman, the Naamite clan.
41. The tribe of Benjamin by clans numbered 45,600 men.
42. The tribe of Dan, by clans: for Shuham, the Shuhamite clan.
43. All the Shuhamite clans numbered 64,400 men.
44. The tribe of Asher, by clans: for Imnah, the Imnite clan; for Ishvi, the Ishvite clan; for Beriah, the Beriite clan.
45. The clans of Heber and Malchiel were descendants of Beriah.
46. The daughter of Asher was called Serah.
47. These were the clans of Asher. They numbered 53,400 men.
48. The tribe of Naphtali, by clans: for Jahzeel, the Jahzeelite clan; for Guni, the Gunite clan;
49. for Jezer, the Jezerite clan; for Shillem, the Shillemite clan.
50. The clans of Naphtali numbered 45,400 men.
51. The sons of Israel numbered in all 601,730 men.
52. Yahweh spoke to Moses and said,
53. "The land is to be divided among the tribes as a heritage, according to the number of those registered.
54. To a tribe large in number you are to give a large area of land; to a small one in number, a small area; to each the heritage will be in proportion to the number registered.
55. The dividing of the land is, however, to be done by lot.
56. Each tribe is to receive its inheritance according to the number of men registered."
57. These are, by clans, the Levites that were registered: for Gershon, the Gershonite clan; for Kohath, the Kohathite clan; for Merari, the Merarite clan.
58. These are the Levite subclans: the Libnites, the Hebronites, the Mahlites, the Mushites, the Kohathites. Kohath was the father of Amram,
59. who married Jochebed, descendant of Levi, born in Egypt. She bore Aaron, Moses and Miriam their sister.
60. Aaron was the father of Nadab and Abihu, Eleazar and Ithamar.
61. Nadab and Abihu died when they offered unlawful fire before Yahweh.
62. Altogether there were registered 23,000 males of one month and over. They were listed separately from the rest of the Israelites, because they would receive no property in Israel.
63. These were the men registered by Moses and Eleazar the priest who took this census of the Israelites in the plains of Moab, near the Jordan River, opposite Jericho.
64. Not one of them was among those whom Moses and Aaron had listed in the desert of Sinai;
65. for Yahweh had told them that these were to die in the desert and none would remain, except Caleb, son of Jephunneh, and Joshua, son of Nun.