1. In the second year of the reign of Darius, on the first day of the sixth month, a word of Yahweh was directed to the prophet Haggai for the benefit of Zerubbabel, the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and Joshua the son of Jehozadak, the high priest.
2. "So says Yahweh of hosts: This people claim that the time to rebuild the House of Yahweh has not yet come.
3. Well now, hear what I have to say through the prophet Haggai:
4. Is this the time for you to live in your well-built houses while this House is a heap of ruins?
5. Think about your ways:
6. you have sown much but harvested little, you eat and drink but are not satisfied, you clothe yourselves but still feel cold, and the laborer puts the money he earned in a tattered purse.
7. Now think about what you must do:
8. go to the mountain and look for wood to rebuild the House. This will make me happy and I will feel deeply honored, says Yahweh.
9. You expected much but it turned out to be very little. I blew away what you had piled up. Why? Because my House lies in ruins while each of you goes running home.
10. Therefore the heavens have withheld rain, and the earth has not produced anything.
11. I sent drought upon the valley and the hills, upon the wheat and the vines, the oil and whatever the soil produces, upon people and animals, and upon any work of your hands."
12. Now, when Zerubbabel, the son of Shealtiel, Joshua the son of Jehozadak, the high priest,
13. and all the people heard these words of the prophet Haggai whom Yahweh had sent to speak to them, they paid attention to what Yahweh had told them and the people were filled with respect for God.
14. Then Haggai, the messenger of Yahweh, passed on to the people this word of Yahweh, "I am with you." Then Yahweh moved the heart of Zerubbabel, Joshua and all the people, and they began rebuilding the House of Yahweh of hosts, their God.
15. It was the twenty-fourth day of the sixth month.