1. And the Lord spoke all these words:
2. “I am the Lord your God, who led you away from the land of Egypt, out of the house of servitude.
3. You shall not have strange gods before me.
4. You shall not make for yourself a graven image, nor a likeness of anything that is in heaven above or on earth below, nor of those things which are in the waters under the earth.
5. You shall not adore them, nor shall you worship them. I am the Lord your God: strong, zealous, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the sons to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,
6. and showing mercy to thousands of those who love me and keep my precepts.
7. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain. For the Lord will not hold harmless one who takes the name of the Lord his God falsely.
8. Remember that you are to sanctify the day of the Sabbath.
9. For six days, you will work and accomplish all your tasks.
10. But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. You shall not do any work in it: you and your son and your daughter, your male servant and your female servant, your beast and the newcomer who is within your gates.
11. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and the sea, and all the things that are in them, and so he rested on the seventh day. For this reason, the Lord has blessed the day of the Sabbath and sanctified it.
12. Honor your father and your mother, so that you may have a long life upon the land, which the Lord your God will give to you.
13. You shall not murder.
14. You shall not commit adultery.
15. You shall not steal.
16. You shall not speak false testimony against your neighbor.
17. You shall not covet the house of your neighbor; neither shall you desire his wife, nor male servant, nor female servant, nor ox, nor donkey, nor anything that is his.”
18. Then all the people considered the voices, and the lights, and the sound of the trumpet, and the smoking mountain. And being terrified and struck with fear, they stood at a distance,
19. saying to Moses: “Speak to us, and we will listen. Let not the Lord speak to us, lest perhaps we may die.”
20. And Moses said to the people: “Do not be afraid. For God came in order to test you, and so that the dread of him might be with you, and you would not sin.”
21. And the people stood far away. But Moses approached toward the mist, in which was God.
22. Thereafter, the Lord said to Moses: “This you shall say to the sons of Israel: You have seen that I have spoken to you from heaven.
23. You shall not make gods of silver, nor shall you make for yourselves gods of gold.
24. You shall make an altar from the earth for me, and you shall offer upon it your holocausts and peace-offerings, your sheep and oxen, in every place where the memory of my name shall be. I will come to you, and I will bless you.
25. And if you make an altar of stone for me, you shall not build it from cut stones; for if you lift up a tool over it, it will be defiled.
26. You shall not ascend by steps to my altar, lest your nakedness be revealed.”