1. Cast your bread on the water, eventually you will recover it.
2. Offer a share to seven or to eight people, you can never tell what disaster may occur.
3. When clouds are full of rain, they will shed it on the earth. If a tree falls, whether south or north, where it falls, there it will lie.
4. Keep watching the wind and you will never sow, keep staring at the clouds and you will never reap.
5. You do not understand how the wind blows, or how the embryo grows in a woman's womb: no more can you understand the work of God, the Creator of all.
6. In the morning, sow your seed, until evening, do not cease from labour, for of any two things you do not know which will succeed, or which of the two is the better.
7. How sweet light is, how delightful it is to see the sun!
8. However many years you live, enjoy them all, but remember, the days of darkness will be many: futility awaits you at the end.
9. Young man, enjoy yourself while you are young, make the most of the days of your youth, follow the prompting and desire of heart and eye, but remember, God will call you to account for everything.
10. Rid your heart of indignation, keep your body clear of suffering, though youth and the age of black hair are both futile.