1. Listen, Israelites, to this prophecy which Yahweh pronounces against you, against the whole family which I brought up from Egypt:
2. You alone have I intimately known of all the families of earth, that is why I shall punish you for all your wrong-doings.
3. Do two people travel together unless they have agreed to do so?
4. Does the lion roar in the forest if it has no prey? Does the young lion growl in his lair if it has caught nothing?
5. Does a bird fall on the ground in a net unless a trap has been set for it? Will the net spring up from the ground without catching something?
6. Does the trumpet sound in the city without the people being alarmed? Does misfortune come to a city if Yahweh has not caused it?
7. No indeed, Lord Yahweh does nothing without revealing his secret to his servants the prophets.
8. The lion roars: who is not afraid? Lord Yahweh has spoken: who will not prophesy?
9. From the palace roofs of Assyria and from the palace roofs of Egypt, proclaim aloud, 'Assemble on the hills of Samaria and observe the grave disorders inside her and the acts of oppression there!'
10. Little they know of right conduct -declares Yahweh- who cram their palaces with violence and extortion.
11. This is why -- Lord Yahweh says this- an enemy will soon besiege the land, he will bring down your strength and your palaces will be looted.
12. Yahweh says this: As the shepherd rescues two legs or the tip of an ear from the lion's mouth, so will the children of Israel be salvaged who now loll in Samaria in the corners of their beds, on their divans of Damascus.
13. Listen and testify against the House of Jacob -declares the Lord Yahweh, God Sabaoth-
14. the day when I punish Israel for his crimes I shall also punish the altars of Bethel; the horns of the altar will be hacked off and will fall to the ground.
15. I shall blast winter house with summer house, ivory houses will be destroyed and many mansions cease to be -declares Yahweh.