1. Moreover Job continued his parable, and said,
2. Oh that I were as [in] months past, as [in] the days [when] God preserved me;
3. When his candle shined upon my head, [and when] by his light I walked [through] darkness;
4. As I was in the days of my youth, when the secret of God [was] upon my tabernacle;
5. When the Almighty [was] yet with me, [when] my children [were] about me;
6. When I washed my steps with butter, and the rock poured me out rivers of oil;
7. When I went out to the gate through the city, [when] I prepared my seat in the street!
8. The young men saw me, and hid themselves: and the aged arose, [and] stood up.
9. The princes refrained talking, and laid [their] hand on their mouth.
10. The nobles held their peace, and their tongue cleaved to the roof of their mouth.
11. When the ear heard [me], then it blessed me; and when the eye saw [me], it gave witness to me:
12. Because I delivered the poor that cried, and the fatherless, and [him that had] none to help him.
13. The blessing of him that was ready to perish came upon me: and I caused the widow's heart to sing for joy.
14. I put on righteousness, and it clothed me: my judgment [was] as a robe and a diadem.
15. I was eyes to the blind, and feet [was] I to the lame.
16. I [was] a father to the poor: and the cause [which] I knew not I searched out.
17. And I brake the jaws of the wicked, and plucked the spoil out of his teeth.
18. Then I said, I shall die in my nest, and I shall multiply [my] days as the sand.
19. My root [was] spread out by the waters, and the dew lay all night upon my branch.
20. My glory [was] fresh in me, and my bow was renewed in my hand.
21. Unto me [men] gave ear, and waited, and kept silence at my counsel.
22. After my words they spake not again; and my speech dropped upon them.
23. And they waited for me as for the rain; and they opened their mouth wide [as] for the latter rain.
24. [If] I laughed on them, they believed [it] not; and the light of my countenance they cast not down.
25. I chose out their way, and sat chief, and dwelt as a king in the army, as one [that] comforteth the mourners.