1. Son of man, stand up! I wish to speak with you.
2. As he spoke to me, spirit entered into me and set me on my feet, and I heard the one who was speaking
3. say to me: Son of man, I am sending you to the Israelites, rebels who have rebelled against me; they and their fathers have revolted against me to this very day.
4. Hard of face and obstinate of heart are they to whom I am sending you. But you shall say to them: Thus says the Lord GOD!
5. And whether they heed or resist--for they are a rebellious house--they shall know that a prophet has been among them.
6. But as for you, son of man, fear neither them nor their words when they contradict you and reject you, and when you sit on scorpions. Neither fear their words nor be dismayed at their looks, for they are a rebellious house.
7. (But speak my words to them, whether they heed or resist, for they are rebellious.)
8. As for you, son of man, obey me when I speak to you: be not rebellious like this house of rebellion, but open your mouth and eat what I shall give you.
9. It was then I saw a hand stretched out to me, in which was a written scroll
10. which he unrolled before me. It was covered with writing front and back, and written on it was: Lamentation and wailing and woe!