1. So you, my child, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.
2. And what you heard from me through many witnesses entrust to faithful people who will have the ability to teach others as well.
3. Bear your share of hardship along with me like a good soldier of Christ Jesus.
4. To satisfy the one who recruited him, a soldier does not become entangled in the business affairs of life.
5. Similarly, an athlete cannot receive the winner's crown except by competing according to the rules.
6. The hardworking farmer ought to have the first share of the crop.
7. Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything.
8. Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, a descendant of David: such is my gospel,
9. for which I am suffering, even to the point of chains, like a criminal. But the word of God is not chained.
10. Therefore, I bear with everything for the sake of those who are chosen, so that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, together with eternal glory.
11. This saying is trustworthy: If we have died with him we shall also live with him;
12. if we persevere we shall also reign with him. But if we deny him he will deny us.
13. If we are unfaithful he remains faithful, for he cannot deny himself.
14. to stop disputing about words. This serves no useful purpose since it harms those who listen.
15. Be eager to present yourself as acceptable to God, a workman who causes no disgrace, imparting the word of truth without deviation.
16. Avoid profane, idle talk, for such people will become more and more godless,
17. and their teaching will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus,
18. who have deviated from the truth by saying that (the) resurrection has already taken place and are upsetting the faith of some.
19. Nevertheless, God's solid foundation stands, bearing this inscription, "The Lord knows those who are his"; and, "Let everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord avoid evil."
20. In a large household there are vessels not only of gold and silver but also of wood and clay, some for lofty and others for humble use.
21. If anyone cleanses himself of these things, he will be a vessel for lofty use, dedicated, beneficial to the master of the house, ready for every good work.
22. So turn from youthful desires and pursue righteousness, faith,love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord with purity of heart.
23. Avoid foolish and ignorant debates, for you know that they breed quarrels.
24. A slave of the Lord should not quarrel, but should be gentle with everyone, able to teach, tolerant,
25. correcting opponents with kindness. It may be that God will grant them repentance that leads to knowledge of the truth,
26. and that they may return to their senses out of the devil's snare, where they are entrapped by him, for his will.