1. What was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we looked upon and touched with our hands concerns the Word of life--
2. for the life was made visible; we have seen it and testify to it and proclaim to you the eternal life that was with the Father and was made visible to us--
3. what we have seen and heard we proclaim now to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; for our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.
4. We are writing this so that our joy may be complete.
5. Now this is the message that we have heard from him and proclaim to you: God is light, and in him there is no darkness at all.
6. If we say, "We have fellowship with him," while we continue to walk in darkness, we lie and do not act in truth.
7. But if we walk in the light as he is in the light, then we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of his Son Jesus cleanses us from all sin.
8. If we say, "We are without sin," we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9. If we acknowledge our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from every wrongdoing.
10. If we say, "We have not sinned," we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.