1. On that day Tobit remembered the money which he had left in trust with Gabael at Rages in Media, and he said to himself;
2. "I have asked for death. Why do I not call my son Tobias so that I may explain to him about the money before I die?"
3. So he called him and said, "My son, when I die, bury me, and do not neglect your mother. Honor her all the days of your life; do what is pleasing to her, and do not grieve her.
4. Remember, my son, that she faced many dangers for you while you were yet unborn. When she dies bury her beside me in the same grave.
5. "Remember the Lord our God all your days, my son, and refuse to sin or to transgress his commandments. Live uprightly all the days of your life, and do not walk in the ways of wrongdoing.
6. For if you do what is true, your ways will prosper through your deeds.
7. Give alms from your possessions to all who live uprightly, and do not let your eye begrudge the gift when you make it. Do not turn your face away from any poor man, and the face of God will not be turned away from you.
8. If you have many possessions, make your gift from them in proportion; if few, do not be afraid to give according to the little you have.
9. So you will be laying up a good treasure for yourself against the day of necessity.
10. For charity delivers from death and keeps you from entering the darkness;
11. and for all who practice it charity is an excellent offering in the presence of the Most High.
12. "Beware, my son, of all immorality. First of all take a wife from among the descendants of your fathers and do not marry a foreign woman, who is not of your father's tribe; for we are the sons of the prophets. Remember, my son, that Noah, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, our fathers of old, all took wives from among their brethren. They were blessed in their children, and their posterity will inherit the land.
13. So now, my son, love your brethren, and in your heart do not disdain your brethren and the sons and daughters of your people by refusing to take a wife for yourself from among them. For in pride there is ruin and great confusion; and in shiftlessness there is loss and great want, because shiftlessness is the mother of famine.
14. Do not hold over till the next day the wages of any man who works for you, but pay him at once; and if you serve God you will receive payment. "Watch yourself, my son, in everything you do, and be disciplined in all your conduct.
15. And what you hate, do not do to any one. Do not drink wine to excess or let drunkenness go with you on your way.
16. Give of your bread to the hungry, and of your clothing to the naked. Give all your surplus to charity, and do not let your eye begrudge the gift when you made it.
17. Place your bread on the grave of the righteous, but give none to sinners.
18. Seek advice from every wise man, and do not despise any useful counsel.
19. Bless the Lord God on every occasion; ask him that your ways may be made straight and that all your paths and plans may prosper. For none of the nations has understanding; but the Lord himself gives all good things, and according to his will he humbles whomever he wishes. "So, my son, remember my commands, and do not let them be blotted out of your mind.
20. And now let me explain to you about the ten talents of silver which I left in trust with Gabael the son of Gabrias at Rages in Media.
21. Do not be afraid, my son, because we have become poor. You have great wealth if you fear God and refrain from every sin and do what is pleasing in his sight."