1. But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of stress.
2. For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy,
3. inhuman, implacable, slanderers, profligates, fierce, haters of good,
4. treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,
5. holding the form of religion but denying the power of it. Avoid such people.
6. For among them are those who make their way into households and capture weak women, burdened with sins and swayed by various impulses,
7. who will listen to anybody and can never arrive at a knowledge of the truth.
8. As Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so these men also oppose the truth, men of corrupt mind and counterfeit faith;
9. but they will not get very far, for their folly will be plain to all, as was that of those two men.
10. Now you have observed my teaching, my conduct, my aim in life, my faith, my patience, my love, my steadfastness,
11. my persecutions, my sufferings, what befell me at Antioch, at Ico'nium, and at Lystra, what persecutions I endured; yet from them all the Lord rescued me.
12. Indeed all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,
13. while evil men and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceivers and deceived.
14. But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it
15. and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings which are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
16. All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
17. that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.