1. Now it is superfluous for me to write to you about the offering for the saints,
2. for I know your readiness, of which I boast about you to the people of Macedo'nia, saying that Acha'ia has been ready since last year; and your zeal has stirred up most of them.
3. But I am sending the brethren so that our boasting about you may not prove vain in this case, so that you may be ready, as I said you would be;
4. lest if some Macedo'nians come with me and find that you are not ready, we be humiliated -- to say nothing of you -- for being so confident.
5. So I thought it necessary to urge the brethren to go on to you before me, and arrange in advance for this gift you have promised, so that it may be ready not as an exaction but as a willing gift.
6. The point is this: he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.
7. Each one must do as he has made up his mind, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
8. And God is able to provide you with every blessing in abundance, so that you may always have enough of everything and may provide in abundance for every good work.
9. As it is written, "He scatters abroad, he gives to the poor; his righteousness endures for ever."
10. He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your resources and increase the harvest of your righteousness.
11. You will be enriched in every way for great generosity, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God;
12. for the rendering of this service not only supplies the wants of the saints but also overflows in many thanksgivings to God.
13. Under the test of this service, you will glorify God by your obedience in acknowledging the gospel of Christ, and by the generosity of your contribution for them and for all others;
14. while they long for you and pray for you, because of the surpassing grace of God in you.
15. Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift!