1. Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope,
2. To Timothy, my true child in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
3. As I urged you when I was going to Macedonia, remain at Ephesus that you may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine,
4. nor to occupy themselves with myths and endless genealogies which promote speculations rather than the divine training that is in faith;
5. whereas the aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and sincere faith.
6. Certain persons by swerving from these have wandered away into vain discussion,
7. desiring to be teachers of the law, without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make assertions.
8. Now we know that the law is good, if any one uses it lawfully,
9. understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
10. immoral persons, sodomites, kidnapers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine,
11. in accordance with the glorious gospel of the blessed God with which I have been entrusted.
12. I thank him who has given me strength for this, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he judged me faithful by appointing me to his service,
13. though I formerly blasphemed and persecuted and insulted him; but I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief,
14. and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.
15. The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. And I am the foremost of sinners;
16. but I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience for an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life.
17. To the King of ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
18. This charge I commit to you, Timothy, my son, in accordance with the prophetic utterances which pointed to you, that inspired by them you may wage the good warfare,
19. holding faith and a good conscience. By rejecting conscience, certain persons have made shipwreck of their faith,
20. among them Hymenae'us and Alexander, whom I have delivered to Satan that they may learn not to blaspheme.