1. So I exhort the elders among you, as a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ as well as a partaker in the glory that is to be revealed.
2. Tend the flock of God that is your charge, not by constraint but willingly, not for shameful gain but eagerly,
3. not as domineering over those in your charge but being examples to the flock.
4. And when the chief Shepherd is manifested you will obtain the unfading crown of glory.
5. Likewise you that are younger be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble."
6. Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that in due time he may exalt you.
7. Cast all your anxieties on him, for he cares about you.
8. Be sober, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking some one to devour.
9. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experience of suffering is required of your brotherhood throughout the world.
10. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, establish, and strengthen you.
11. To him be the dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
12. By Silva'nus, a faithful brother as I regard him, I have written briefly to you, exhorting and declaring that this is the true grace of God; stand fast in it.
13. She who is at Babylon, who is likewise chosen, sends you greetings; and so does my son Mark.
14. Greet one another with the kiss of love. Peace to all of you that are in Christ.