1. Ask Yahweh for rain in autumn and at the time of the spring rains. Yahweh is the one to make the storm-clouds. He will give them showers of rain; to each, grass in his field.
2. Since the domestic idols have talked nonsense, and the diviners have seen false signs, and dreams have purveyed delusions, affording empty comfort, that is why they have strayed like sheep, in distress for want of a shepherd.
3. My anger has been roused by the shepherds, and I shall vent it on the he-goats. When Yahweh Sabaoth comes to visit his flock, the House of Judah, he will make it his royal war-horse.
4. From it will emerge Cornerstone and Tent-peg, from it, Bow-ready-for-Battle, from it, every type of leader. Together
5. they will be like warriors trampling the dirt of the streets in battle; when they fight, because Yahweh is with them, they will put mounted men to rout.
6. Then I shall make the House of Judah mighty and the House of Joseph victorious. I shall restore them, because I have taken pity on them, and they will be as though I had never cast them off, for I am Yahweh their God and shall answer their prayer.
7. Ephraim will be like a warrior. Their hearts will be cheered as though by wine. Their children will see this and rejoice, their hearts will exult in Yahweh.
8. I shall whistle to them and gather them in, for I have redeemed them; they will be as numerous as they used to be.
9. I shall scatter them among the peoples but in distant countries they will remember me, they will instruct their children and then return.
10. I shall bring them home from Egypt and gather them back from Assyria; I shall lead them into Gilead and the Lebanon, and even that will not be large enough for them.
11. They will cross the sea of Egypt (and the waves of the sea will be struck); all the depths of the River will be dried up. The arrogance of Assyria will be cast down and the sceptre of Egypt taken away.
12. I shall make them mighty in Yahweh, and they will march in my name -- Yahweh declares.