1. Looking up, he saw rich people putting their offerings into the treasury;
2. and he noticed a poverty-stricken widow putting in two small coins,
3. and he said, 'I tell you truly, this poor widow has put in more than any of them;
4. for these have all put in money they could spare, but she in her poverty has put in all she had to live on.'
5. When some were talking about the Temple, remarking how it was adorned with fine stonework and votive offerings, he said,
6. 'All these things you are staring at now -- the time will come when not a single stone will be left on another; everything will be destroyed.'
7. And they put to him this question, 'Master,' they said, 'when will this happen, then, and what sign will there be that it is about to take place?'
8. But he said, 'Take care not to be deceived, because many will come using my name and saying, "I am the one" and "The time is near at hand." Refuse to join them.
9. And when you hear of wars and revolutions, do not be terrified, for this is something that must happen first, but the end will not come at once.'
10. Then he said to them, 'Nation will fight against nation, and kingdom against kingdom.
11. There will be great earthquakes and plagues and famines in various places; there will be terrifying events and great signs from heaven.
12. 'But before all this happens, you will be seized and persecuted; you will be handed over to the synagogues and to imprisonment, and brought before kings and governors for the sake of my name
13. -and that will be your opportunity to bear witness.
14. Make up your minds not to prepare your defence,
15. because I myself shall give you an eloquence and a wisdom that none of your opponents will be able to resist or contradict.
16. You will be betrayed even by parents and brothers, relations and friends; and some of you will be put to death.
17. You will be hated universally on account of my name,
18. but not a hair of your head will be lost.
19. Your perseverance will win you your lives.
20. 'When you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then you must realise that it will soon be laid desolate.
21. Then those in Judaea must escape to the mountains, those inside the city must leave it, and those in country districts must not take refuge in it.
22. For this is the time of retribution when all that scripture says must be fulfilled.
23. Alas for those with child, or with babies at the breast, when those days come!
24. 'For great misery will descend on the land and retribution on this people. They will fall by the edge of the sword and be led captive to every gentile country; and Jerusalem will be trampled down by the gentiles until their time is complete.
25. 'There will be signs in the sun and moon and stars; on earth nations in agony, bewildered by the turmoil of the ocean and its waves;
26. men fainting away with terror and fear at what menaces the world, for the powers of heaven will be shaken.
27. And then they will see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.
28. When these things begin to take place, stand erect, hold your heads high, because your liberation is near at hand.'
29. And he told them a parable, 'Look at the fig tree and indeed every tree.
30. As soon as you see them bud, you can see for yourselves that summer is now near.
31. So with you when you see these things happening: know that the kingdom of God is near.
32. In truth I tell you, before this generation has passed away all will have taken place.
33. Sky and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
34. 'Watch yourselves, or your hearts will be coarsened by debauchery and drunkenness and the cares of life, and that day will come upon you unexpectedly,
35. like a trap. For it will come down on all those living on the face of the earth.
36. Stay awake, praying at all times for the strength to survive all that is going to happen, and to hold your ground before the Son of man.'
37. All day long he would be in the Temple teaching, but would spend the night in the open on the hill called the Mount of Olives.
38. And from early morning the people thronged to him in the Temple to listen to him.