1. The Lord fashioned human beings from the earth, to consign them back to it.
2. He gave them so many days and so much time, he gave them authority over everything on earth.
3. He clothed them in strength, like himself, and made them in his own image.
4. He filled all living things with dread of human beings, making them masters over beasts and birds.
6. He made them a tongue, eyes and ears, and gave them a heart to think with.
7. He filled them with knowledge and intelligence, and showed them what was good and what evil.
8. He put his own light in their hearts to show them the magnificence of his works,
10. so that they would praise his holy name as they told of his magnificent works.
11. He set knowledge before them, he endowed them with the law of life.
12. He established an eternal covenant with them, and revealed his judgements to them.
13. Their eyes saw the majesty of his glory, and their ears heard the glory of his voice.
14. He said to them, 'Beware of all wrong-doing'; he gave each a commandment concerning his neighbour.
15. Their ways are always under his eye, they cannot be hidden from his sight.
17. Over each nation he has set a governor, but Israel is the Lord's own portion.
19. Their actions are all as plain as the sun to him, and his eyes rest constantly on their conduct.
20. Their iniquities are not hidden from him, all their sins are before the Lord.
22. Almsgiving is like a signet ring to him, he cherishes generosity like the pupil of an eye.
23. One day he will rise and reward them, he will repay their deserts on their own heads.
24. But to those who repent he permits return, and he encourages those who have lost hope.
25. Return to the Lord and renounce your sins, plead before his face, stop offending him.
26. Come back to the Most High, turn away from iniquity and hold all that is foul in abhorrence.
27. Who is going to praise the Most High in Sheol if we do not glorify him while we are alive?
28. The dead can praise no more than those who do not exist, only those with life and health can praise the Lord.
29. How great is the mercy of the Lord, his pardon for those who turn to him!
30. For we cannot have everything, human beings are not immortal.
31. What is brighter than the sun? And yet it fades. Flesh and blood think of nothing but evil.
32. He surveys the armies of the lofty sky, and all of us are only dust and ashes.