1. I urge then, first of all that petitions, prayers, intercessions and thanksgiving should be offered for everyone,
2. for kings and others in authority, so that we may be able to live peaceful and quiet lives with all devotion and propriety.
3. To do this is right, and acceptable to God our Saviour:
4. he wants everyone to be saved and reach full knowledge of the truth.
5. For there is only one God, and there is only one mediator between God and humanity, himself a human being, Christ Jesus,
6. who offered himself as a ransom for all. This was the witness given at the appointed time,
7. of which I was appointed herald and apostle and -- I am telling the truth and no lie -- a teacher of the gentiles in faith and truth.
8. In every place, then, I want the men to lift their hands up reverently in prayer, with no anger or argument.
9. Similarly, women are to wear suitable clothes and to be dressed quietly and modestly, without braided hair or gold and jewellery or expensive clothes;
10. their adornment is to do the good works that are proper for women who claim to be religious.
11. During instruction, a woman should be quiet and respectful.
12. I give no permission for a woman to teach or to have authority over a man. A woman ought to be quiet,
13. because Adam was formed first and Eve afterwards,
14. and it was not Adam who was led astray but the woman who was led astray and fell into sin.
15. Nevertheless, she will be saved by child-bearing, provided she lives a sensible life and is constant in faith and love and holiness.