1. The words of Jeremias the son of Helcias, of the priests that were in Anathoth, in the land of Benjamin.
4. And the word of the Lord came to me, saying:
5. Before I formed thee in the bowels of thy mother, I knew thee: and before thou camest forth out of the womb, I sanctified thee, and made thee a prophet unto the nations.
6. And I said: Ah, ah, ah, Lord God: behold, I cannot speak, for I am a child.
7. And the Lord said to me: Say not: I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee: and whatsoever I shall command thee, thou shalt speak.
8. Be not afraid at their presence: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the Lord.
9. And the Lord put forth his hand, and touched my mouth: and the Lord said to me: Behold I have given my words in thy mouth:
10. Lo, I have set thee this day over the nations, and over the kingdoms, to root up, and pull down, and to waste, and to destroy, and to build, and to plant.