1. The kings of the Amorites on the west of the Jordan and all the kings of the Canaanites who lived in the neighboring lands of the Mediterranean Sea came to know how Yahweh dried up the bed of the Jordan for the Israelites to cross. So they lost their courage and spirit to face the Israelites.
2. At that time, Yahweh said to Joshua: "Make flint knives and celebrate a new circumcision for the sons of Israel."
3. Joshua obeyed the order of Yahweh and circumcised the Israelites at a place called the Hill of the Foreskins.
4. This is the reason why Joshua did this second circumcision: all the men of Israel who left Egypt were circumcised, but they died during their journey in the desert.
5. But all those born in the desert were not circumcised.
6. For the Israelites walked in the desert for forty years until the whole nation died - the whole generation who did not obey Yahweh. For Yahweh had sworn that they would not enter the land flowing with milk and honey which he promised to their fathers.
7. But it was their children, whom Joshua circumcised.
8. After circumcising all, they rested in the camp until they were healed.
9. Then Yahweh said to Joshua: "Today I have removed from you the shame of Egypt." So the place is called Gilgal up to this day.
10. The Israelites encamped in Gilgal where they celebrated the Passover on the evening of the fourteenth day of the month in the plains of Jericho.
11. On the following day, they ate of the produce of the land: unleavened bread and roasted grain on that very day.
12. And from that day on when they ate of the produce of the land, the manna ceased. There was no more manna for the Israelites, and that year they ate of the fruit of the land of Canaan.
13. When Joshua was near Jericho, he lifted up his eyes and saw before him a man with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua approached him and said: "Are you for us or for our enemies?"
14. And he answered: "No, I have come as the commander of the army of Yahweh." Joshua lay prostrate on the ground, worshiped him and said: "What does my Lord ask of his servant?"
15. The commander of the army of Yahweh said to him: "Take off your sandals from your feet; the place where you stand is holy." And Joshua did so.