1. On the twenty-first day of the seventh month of the second year of the reign of Darius, this word of Yahweh was sent through the prophet Haggai,
2. "Give this message to Zerubbabel, the governor of Judah, and to Joshua, the high priest, and to all the people:
3. Is there left among you one of those who saw this house long ago in the time of its glory? What do they think of what they see now? Is it not a very little thing?
4. But I say to you, Zerubbabel, Joshua and my people: do not be discouraged. Begin to work, for I am with you, says Yahweh.
5. Do not be afraid, for my spirit is in your midst.
6. Thus says Yahweh of hosts, within a short while I will shake the heavens and the earth, the sea and the continents.
7. Then I will shake all the nations and bring in the treasures of the whole world. I will fill this House with glory, says Yahweh.
8. I will have as much silver and gold as I wish.
9. The renown of this Temple will be greater than before, and in this place I will give peace," says Yahweh of hosts.
10. On the twenty-fourth day of the ninth month, in the second year of Darius, the word of Yahweh was directed again to the prophet Haggai.
11. He should ask the priests to resolve the following case in accordance with the Law:
12. "If someone brings consecrated meat wrapped in his cloak, and the edge of his cloak touches bread, cooked food, wine, oil, or any other food, will all these become consecrated food?" They immediately answered, "No."
13. Haggai went on to say, "But if someone becomes unclean by having touched a dead body, and then touches any of these things, will all these become unclean?" This time the priests said, "Yes."
14. Then Haggai addressed them, "So it is with this people and this nation before me, says Yahweh, so with everything they do and all they offer here: all is unclean.
15. Pay attention to this from now on: how was it with you before the rebuilding of the Temple was begun?
16. You expected twenty sacks of wheat, but there were only ten. You thought of drawing out fifty measures of wine but there were only twenty.
17. I spoiled all your work with blight, mildew and hail. Yet none returned to me, says the Lord.
18. Pay attention, then, from now on, since the first stone of the Sanctuary of Yahweh was laid.
19. See if the wheat, the vine, the fig tree and the pomegranate go on yielding little! From this day on I will bless your olive trees."
20. The word of Yahweh came again to Haggai on the twenty-fourth day of the same month,
21. "Say to Zerubbabel, the governor of Judah:
22. I will overthrow the thrones of the kings and destroy the power of the nations. I will overturn the chariot and its driver; the horses and their riders shall tumble down to the ground. They will kill one another.
23. On that day I will take you, Zerubbabel, my servant, the son of Shealtiel, and for me you will be like a ring on my finger with my initials on it. For I have chosen you, says Yahweh of hosts."