1. When people began to increase on the earth and daughters were born to them,
2. the sons of God saw that men's daughters were very beautiful, so they married those they chose.
3. Yahweh then said, "My spirit will not remain in man forever, for he is flesh. His span of life will be one hundred and twenty years."
4. At that time there were giants on the earth, and afterwards as well, when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. These were the heroes of old, men of renown.
5. Yahweh saw how great was the wickedness of man on the earth and that evil was always the only thought of his heart.
6. Yahweh regretted having created man on the earth and his heart grieved.
7. He said, "I will destroy man whom I created and blot him out from the face of the earth, as well as the beasts, creeping creatures and birds, for I am sorry I made them."
8. But Noah was pleasing to God.
9. This is the story of Noah. Noah was a just man, blameless among the people of his time, a man who walked with God.
10. Noah became the father of three sons: Shem, Ham and Japheth.
11. The earth became corrupt in God's sight and was full of violence.
12. God saw the earth and saw it was corrupt, for corrupt, indeed, was the way of all mortals.
13. Yahweh said to Noah, "I have in mind to destroy all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. This is why I will destroy them and with them the earth.
14. As for you, build an ark of cypress wood. You will make rooms in the ark and coat it with pitch inside and outside.
15. This is the way you will do it: the length of the ark, four hundred and fifty feet; the width, seventy-five feet; the height, forty-five feet.
16. You will put a roof on the ark and finish it within eighteen inches from the top. Put a door in the side of the ark and have lower, middle and upper decks.
17. I am about to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy the earth, to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life. Everything on earth will perish,
18. but I will establish my covenant with you. You shall come into the ark, you, your wife, your sons and your sons' wives with you.
19. You shall bring into the ark two of every kind of living thing, male and female, to keep them alive with you.
20. Of the birds, the animals and all creeping things on the ground, according to their kind, two of every sort shall come in to be kept alive with you.
21. Take with you every sort of food that is eaten. Make a store of it and it will be food for you and them."
22. And Noah did all as God had commanded him.