1. Yahweh appeared to Abraham near the oak of Mamre. Abraham was sitting at the entrance to his tent, in the heat of the day,
2. when he looked up and saw three men standing nearby. When he saw them he ran from the entrance of the tent to meet them. He bowed to the ground
3. and said, "My Lord, if I have found favor in your sight, do not pass your servant by.
4. Let a little water be brought. Wash your feet and then rest under the trees.
5. I shall fetch some bread so that you can be refreshed and continue on your way, since you have come to your servant." They then said, "Do as you say."
6. Abraham hurried into the tent to Sarah and said to her, "Quick, take three measures of flour, knead it and make cakes."
7. Abraham then ran to the herd, took a fine, tender calf, gave it to the servant who hurried to prepare it.
8. He took butter and milk and together with the calf he had prepared laid it all before them. And while he remained standing, they ate.
9. They then asked, "Where is Sarah, your wife?" Abraham answered, "She is in the tent."
10. And the visitor said, "At this same time next year I will return and Sarah by then will have a son." Now Sarah was behind him, listening at the entrance to the tent.
11. Abraham and Sarah were old, well on in years, and Sarah no longer had her monthly periods.
12. Sarah laughed to herself saying, "Now that I am old and worn and my husband is an old man, am I to have this pleasure?"
13. Yahweh said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh, saying: 'Am I really going to have a child now that I am old?'
14. Is there anything that is impossible for God? At this same time next year I will return and Sarah by then will have a son."
15. Sarah denied saying, "I did not laugh," for she was afraid. But he said, "You did laugh."
16. The men went away and turned towards Sodom. Abraham walked with them to set them on their way.
17. And Yahweh said, "Can I conceal from Abraham what I am about to do?
18. Abraham, in fact, is going to become a great and powerful nation and through him all the nations of the earth will be blessed,
19. for I have chosen him to command his sons and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing what is right and just, so that Yahweh may bring about for Abraham what he has promised him."
20. Then Yahweh said, "How great is the cry for justice against Sodom and Gomorrah! And how grievous is their sin!
21. I am going down to see if they have done all that they are charged with in the outcry that has reached me. If it is not so, I will know."
22. The men with him turned away and went towards Sodom, but Yahweh remained standing before Abraham.
23. Abraham went forward and said, "Will you really let the just perish with the wicked?
24. Perhaps there are fifty good people in the town. Are you really going to let them perish? Would you not spare the place for the sake of these fifty righteous people?
25. It would not be at all like you to do such a thing and you can't let the good perish with the wicked, nor treat the good and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the judge of all the earth be just?"
26. Yahweh said, "If I find fifty good people in Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake."
27. Abraham spoke up again, "I know that I am very bold to speak like this to my Lord, I who am only dust and ashes!
28. But perhaps the number of the good is five less than fifty. Will you destroy the town because of five?" Yahweh replied, "I will not destroy the town if I find forty-five good people there."
29. Again Abraham said to him, "Perhaps there will be only forty." He answered, "For the sake of forty I will not do it."
30. Abraham went on, saying, "May my Lord not be angry, but let me speak. Maybe only thirty good people will be found in the town." Yahweh answered, "I will not destroy it if I find thirty there."
31. Abraham said, "Now that I have been so bold as to speak to my Lord, what if only twenty can be found?" He said, "For the sake of twenty I will not destroy the place."
32. But Abraham insisted, "May my Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found?" And Yahweh answered, "For the sake of ten good people, I will not destroy Sodom."
33. When Yahweh had finished speaking with Abraham, he left and Abraham went home.