1. These are the commandments, the norms and the laws that Yahweh, your God, has commanded me to teach you so that you may observe them in the land which is going to be yours.
2. Fear Yahweh, observe his commandments all the days of your life and his norms that I teach you today. So also for your children and your children's children that they may live long.
3. Listen, then, Israel, observe these commandments and put them into practice. If you do this, you will be well and you will multiply in this land flowing with milk and honey, as Yahweh, the God of your fathers, promised you.
4. Listen, Israel: Yahweh, our God, is One Yahweh.
5. And you shall love Yahweh, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your strength.
6. Engrave on your heart the commandments that I pass on to you today.
7. Repeat them over and over to your children, speak of them when you are at home and when you travel, when you lie down and when you rise.
8. Brand them on your hand as a sign, and keep them always before your eyes.
9. Engrave them on your doorposts and on your city gates.
10. Do not forget Yahweh when he has led you into the land which he promised to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob; for he will give you great and prosperous cities which you did not build,
11. houses filled with everything good which you did not provide, wells which you did not dig, vineyards and olive groves which you did not plant. So when you have eaten and have been satisfied,
12. do not forget Yahweh who brought you out from Egypt where you were enslaved.
13. Fear Yahweh, your God, serve him and call on his Name when you have to swear an oath.
14. Do not go after other gods; do not serve any of the gods of the nations around you,
15. because your God, who is in your midst, is a jealous God. And when he burns in anger, you shall disappear from the face of the earth.
16. You shall not put Yahweh, your God, to the test, as you did in Massah.
17. Observe the precepts, the commandments and the norms that Yahweh has commanded you.
18. You shall do what is right and good in the eyes of Yahweh that you may be happy and may come to possess the splendid land which he swore to your fathers
19. he would give you after having destroyed all your enemies before you.
20. And when your child asks you one day: What are these precepts, these commandments and these norms which Yahweh has commanded us?
21. You shall answer your child: We were Pharaoh's slaves in Egypt, but Yahweh led us out of Egypt with prodigious deeds.
22. And we have seen the great and wonderful things, the awesome marvels he has done against Pharaoh and all his people.
23. And he took us out from there to lead us into the land which he promised to our fathers.
24. Yahweh has commanded us to put into practice all these precepts and to fear him, our God. Because of this, we are happy and alive today,
25. and we shall be perfect in his eyes if we observe and practice these commandments as he has told us to do.