1. If I could speak all the human and angelic tongues, but had no love, I would only be sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.
2. If I had prophecy, knowing secret things with all kinds of knowledge, and had faith great enough to remove mountains, but had no love, I would be nothing.
3. If I gave everything I had to the poor, and even gave up my own body, but only to receive praise and not through love, it would be of no value to me.
4. Love is patient, kind, without envy. It is not boastful or arrogant. It is not ill-mannered nor does it seek its own interest.
5. Love overcomes anger and forgets offenses.
6. It does not take delight in wrong, but rejoices in truth.
7. Love excuses everything, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8. Love will never end. Prophecies may cease, tongues be silent and knowledge disappear.
9. For knowledge grasps something of the truth and prophecy as well.
10. And when what is perfect comes, everything imperfect will pass away.
11. When I was a child I thought and reasoned like a child, but when I grew up, I gave up childish ways.
12. Likewise, at present we see dimly as in a faulty mirror, but then it shall be face to face. Now we know in part, but then I will know as I am known.
13. Now we have faith, hope and love, these three, but the greatest of these is love.