1. Hiram, king of Tyre, sent messengers to David with cedar wood and stonemasons and carpenters to build him a palace.
2. David then knew that Yahweh had established him as king over Israel, and that for the sake of his people Israel his kingdom was being made prosperous.
3. At Jerusalem David took more wives and fathered more sons and daughters.
4. These are the names of the children born to him in Jerusalem: Shammua, Shobab, Nathan, Solomon,
5. Ibhar, Elishua, Elpelet,
6. Nogab, Nepheg, Japhia,
7. Elishama, Beeliada, Eliphelet.
8. When the Philistines heard that David had been anointed king of all Israel, they all marched up to capture him. On hearing this, David went out to meet them.
9. When the Philistines arrived, they began plundering the Valley of the Rephaim.
10. David consulted Yahweh, "Shall I attack the Philistines? Will you turn them over to me?" Yahweh answered him, "Attack! I will turn them over to you."
11. The Philistines went up to Baal-perazim and there David defeated them. David said, "God has broken through them just as water breaks through a dam." For this reason that place was called Baal Perazim.
12. They had left their gods behind them there, and David ordered them to be burned.
13. Again the Philistines started plundering in the valley.
14. David again consulted God, and God answered, "Do not attack them from the front; go around and get ready to attack them from the other side, near the balsam trees.
15. When you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the balsam trees, launch your attack, for God is going out ahead of you to defeat the army of the Philistines."
16. David did as God had ordered, and they defeated the Philistine army from Gibeon as far as Gezer.
17. David became famous everywhere, and Yahweh made every nation afraid of him.