1. All the people of Israel went to David at Hebron "Look, we are your own flesh and blood.
2. Even when Saul was our king, you led Israel in battle; and Yahweh your God said to you, 'You are the man who shall be shepherd of my people Israel and shall be ruler over them.'"
3. So all the elders of Israel came to the king at Hebron, and David made a covenant with them at Hebron in the presence of Yahweh, and he became king of Israel, just as Yahweh had promised through Samuel.
4. David with all the Israelites attacked Jerusalem (that is to say, Jebus); there lived the Jebusites.
5. They said to David, "You will not get in here." But David captured the fortress of Zion, and it became the City of David.
6. David said, "The first man to attack the Jebusites shall become leader and commander of the army." Joab son of Zeruiah attacked first and became commander.
7. David went to live in the fortress, and because of this it was called the City of David.
8. He then built a wall around the city, and the Millo as well as the surrounding wall, while Joab restored the rest of the city.
9. David grew greater and greater, and Yahweh Sabaoth was with him.
10. These are the famous warriors of David, those who during his rule struggled with him and with all Israel, to make him king as Yahweh had promised.
11. This is the list of David's warriors: Jashobeam the Hachmonite, leader of the Thirty; one day he wielded his battle-ax against three hundred whom he killed at one time.
12. After him there was Eleazar son of Dodo, the Ahohite, one of the three champions.
13. He was with David at Pasdammim where the Philistines had gathered to attack. There was a field full of barley there. When the Israelites started to run away,
14. Eleazar took a stand in the middle of the field, defended it and fought the Philistines. So Yahweh brought about a great victory.
15. The Thirty leading soldiers went down to David at the rock near the Cave of Adullam while a company of Philistines was encamped in the Valley of the Rephaim.
16. David was then on a fortified hill, and a group of Philistines had occupied Bethlehem.
17. David sighed, "Oh, if someone would fetch me a drink of water from the well by the gate of Bethlehem!"
18. At this The Three, forcing their way through the Philistine camp, drew water from the well by the gate of Bethlehem and, bringing it away, presented it to David. But David would drink none of it and poured it out as an offering to Yahweh.
19. "God keep me," he said, "from doing this! Am I to drink the blood of these men? For at the risk of their lives they brought it." And so he would not drink it. Such were the deeds of The Three.
20. Abishai, the brother of Joab, was leader of The Thirty. He fought with his spear against three hundred whom he killed, winning himself a name among The Thirty.
21. He was the most famous of The Thirty and became their captain, but he was not as famous as The Three.
22. Benaiah son of Jehoiada, a hero from Kabzeel, did many brave deeds; he killed the two Ariels of Moab. One snowy day, he went down and killed the lion in a pit.
23. He also killed an Egyptian, a huge man seven and a half feet tall. The Egyptian had a gigantic spear in his hand, but Benaiah attacked him with a club, snatched the spear from the Egyptian's hand and killed the man with it.
24. Such were the deeds of Benaiah son of Jehoiada, winning him a name among the thirty leading soldiers.
25. He was famous among The Thirty, but he was not as famous as The Three. David put him in command of his bodyguard.
26. The other valiant warriors were: Asahel the brother of Joab. Elhanan son of Dodo, from Bethlehem.
27. Shammoth from Harod, Helez the Pelonite.
28. Ira son of Ikkesh, from Tekoa. Abiezer from Anathoth.
29. Sibbecai from Hushah. Ilai from Ahoh.
30. Maharai from Netophah. Heled son of Baanah, from Netophah.
31. Ithai son of Ribai, from Gibeah of Benjamin. Benaiah from Pirathon.
32. Hurai from the valleys near Gaash. Abiel from Bethhaarabah.
33. Azmaveth from Baharum. Eliahba from Shaalbon.
34. Benehashem from Gizon. Jonathan son of Shagee, from Harar.
35. Ahiam son of Sachar, from Harar. Eliphelet son of Ur.
36. Hepher from Mecherah. Ahijah the Pelonite.
37. Hezro from Carmel. Naarai son of Ezbai.
38. Joel the brother of Nathan. Mibhar son of Hagri.
39. Zelek the Ammonite. Naharai from Beeroth, armorbearer to Joab son of Zeruiah.
40. Ira from Jattir. Gareb from Jattir.
41. Uriah the Hittite. Zabad son of Ahlai.
42. Adina son of Shiza (a leading member of the tribe of Reuben, with his own group of thirty soldiers).
43. Hanan son of Maacah. Joshaphat the Mithnite.
44. Uzzia from Ashteroth. Shama and Jeiel, sons of Hotham the Aroerite.
45. Jediaelson of Shimri, and Joha his brother, the Tizite.
46. Eliel the Mahavite. Jeribai and Joshaviah, sons of Elnaam. Ithmah the Moabite.
47. Eliel, Obed, and Jaasiel from Zoba.