1. In their tribulation, they will arise early to me. Come, let us return to the Lord.
2. For he has seized us, and he will heal us. He will strike, and he will cure us.
3. He will revive us after two days; on the third day he will raise us up, and we will live in his sight. We will understand, and we will continue on, so that we may know the Lord. His landing place has been prepared like the first light of morning, and he will come to us like the early and the late rains of the land.
4. What am I to do with you, Ephraim? What am I to do with you, Judah? Your mercy is like the morning mist, and like the dew passing away in the morning.
5. Because of this, I have cut them with the prophets, I have slain them with the words of my mouth; and your opinions will depart like the light.
6. For I desired mercy and not sacrifice, and knowledge of God more than holocausts.
7. But they, like Adam, have transgressed the covenant; in this, they have been dishonest with me.
8. Gilead is a city that manufactures idols; it has been tripped up by family relations.
9. And, like those who rob with skillful words, they, by conspiring with the priests, bring a death sentence to travelers on a pilgrimage from Shechem; for they have been performing evil deeds.
10. I have seen horrible things in the house of Israel; the fornications of Ephraim are there. Israel has been contaminated.
11. But you, Judah, set a harvest for yourself, while I reverse the captivity of my people.